Mary O’Brien Tyrrell is an accomplished speaker. Click here to learn more about Mary’s experience and speaking credentials.
Mary’s Areas of Expertise
- Memoir writing and life reminiscence
- Building a successful memoir writing business
- Serving as a nurse in Vietnam / Veteran writing and healing
- Past Speaking Engagements
- 2015 Chatham, MA, Unitarian Universalist Meeting House, Joy of Aging Series
- 2015 Yarmouth, MA, Yarmouth Libraries, Joy of Aging Series
- 2015 Cape Cod, MA, Bridgewater State University, “Jumpstart Your Memoirs Writing Business Intensive”
- 2014 Brewster, MA, “The Joys and Surprises of Telling Your Life Story”
- 2014 St. Paul, MN, St. Catherine University, “Jumpstart Your Memoirs Writing Business”
- 2013 St. Paul, MN, St. Catherine University, “Jumpstart Your Memoirs Writing Business”
- 2013 Franklin, MA, Northeast Chapter APH, bag-lunch meeting at Anglican Church of the Redeemer, 31 Hayward St.
- 2012 San Diego, CA: Gerontological Society of America, Annual Meeting, attended as representative of the International Institute for Reminiscence and Life Review advisory committee President
- 2012 Salt Lake City, UT: Life Story Library Foundation, Pre-conference Training and Kick-Off Keynote Speaker for Make Your Story Count
- 2012 St. Louis, MO: Association of Personal Historians Annual Conference, Conversation Cafe, as member of Certification Task Force, representing the International Institute for Reminiscence and Life Review
- 2012 Arlington, VA: Association for Gerontology in Higher Education, representing the International Institute for Reminiscence and Life Review
- 2012 St. Paul, MN: Saint Catherine University, “Kickstart Your Memoir Writing Business” 5-day training intensive, adjunct faculty/instructor
- 2012 St. Paul, MN: MN Historical Society, 1968 Speakers Panel
- 2011 San Francisco, CA: American Society on Aging, “How to Avoid Negative Outcomes of Reminiscence and Life Review”
- 2011 St. Paul, MN: St. Catherine University, Book release, Sisterhood of War
- 2011 Boston, MA: International Institute for Reminiscence and Life Review, Pre-Conf. Intensive for Life Story Professionals, “Creating Connections”
- 2010 Lac du Flambeau, WI: Spring Retreat, Great Lakes Tribal Council, “Writing Your Life Story”
- 2010 St. Paul, MN: Community of Peace School, Civil Rights Movement, “Mississippi 1964”
- 2009 Atlanta, GA: International Institute for Reminiscence and Life Review, “Satisfaction Survey of Elderly Clients and Families”
- 2009 Lac du Flambeau, WI: Winter Gathering, Great Lakes Tribal Council, “Writing Your Life Story”
- 2007 Interviewed for Kiplinger’s Retirement Report 14, no. 2, pp. 18-19, “Leave a Legacy by Writing Your Memoirs” by Robert K. Otterbourg.
- International Perspectives on Reminiscence, Life Review and Life Story Work, Jessica Kingsley Publishing, 2019 London, edited by Faith Gibson. Tyrrell’s chapter, “Memoir Writing: The Challenge of Leaving a Legacy” pp 328-340.
- A New and Growing Profession: Personal Historians Listening to Elders’ Life Stories, The International Journal of Reminiscence and Life Review, 2013
- Become a Memoirist for Elders: Create a Successful Home Business, 2012
- Stories Behind Life Stories: Musings of a Memoirist, Journal of Aging, Humanities, and the Arts: Official Journal of the Gerontological Society of America, 2008
- Satisfaction Survey of Elderly Clients and Families Hiring a Memoirist,” Selected Conference Papers and Proceedings International Reminiscence and Life Review Conference 2007
- “Life Stories as Heirlooms,” Reminiscence: Valuing and Enriching the Lives of Older Adults, 2007
- “Memoirist of Ordinary, Yet Extraordinary Elders,” Generations, 2003
To inquire about arrangements for speaking engagements, please contact Memoirs, Inc.